Update October 15: The above video feed has been updated for Day 2 of the March 2021 Company International Convention.
The Mars Society’s 24th Annual International Convention begins Thursday (October 14) and you can watch it all online for free.
The Mars Society, a space advocacy group supporting human exploration of Mars, will host online virtual panels between Thursday (October 14) and Sunday (October 17). Register here for your ticket (including an optional donation) and view the full schedule at this link.
“The four-day online forum will bring together leading scientists, government policymakers, space business leaders and space advocates to discuss the latest scientific and technological developments and challenges in human exploration and robotics of Mars and the possible human implantation of the Red Planet, ”the Mars Society said in a statement.
Presentations will take place on Zoom, while attendees and presenters will be able to network on platforms such as the Attendify mobile app event platform, the Slack discussion and collaboration tool, and the Microsoft’s AltspaceVR virtual networking and social virtual reality platform.
Related: See! The 1st panorama of Mars from the Perseverance rover
According to the Mars Society, here are some of the highlights attendees can expect:
- NASA Assistant Administrator Pamela Melroy’s special address on “NASA’s Path to Mars”;
- NASA Chief Scientist Jim Green’s discussion of the future of aerial exploration on Mars following the Ingenuity drone mission;
- A live broadcast with staff of a Martian analogue called AMADEE-20, with staff in Israel and Austria;
- An update on NASA’s Perseverance rover mission from Associate Project Scientist Katie Stack Morgan;
- An update on the United Arab Emirates’ Mars Hope Mission from Project Manager Omran Sharaf;
- A presentation on China’s space program, by Hong Kong University planetary geologist Joseph Michalski
- A lecture on manned space exploration by José M. Hernández, former NASA astronaut and CEO of Tierra Luna Engineering;
- A speech on the terraforming of Mars, by Chris McKay, researcher at the NASA Ames Research Center;
- A talk on possible biosignatures in the atmosphere of Venus by Massachusetts Institute of Technology planetologist Sara Seagar;
- A discussion of NASA’s Titan Dragonfly mission by Principal Investigator Elizabeth Turtle at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory.
Follow Elizabeth Howell on Twitter @howellspace. Follow us on Twitter @Spacedotcom and on Facebook.
Correction: The Mars Society sent updated information in their initial press release indicating that the organization is now using AltspaceVR. The article has been updated to reflect this information.